Spanish journalist and writer

domingo, 14 de julio de 2013

A journalist infiltrated into the most dangerous organizations in the world.

THE ALARM RINGS ON THE MOBILE PHONE. The coffee percolator was prepared the night before. I hate losing even a single second of time. Black coffee. A big one. A first look at the online editions of the daily press. In México there's controversy over the presidential elections, which I suspect will in no way change their situation. Europe drowns in its economic crisis and Palestine continues agonizing, like Afghanistan and Iraq. So many useless deaths... The headlines are now concentrating on Syria. Now they are warning about the chemical weapons that Bashar Al-Assad, the new Saddam, is supposed to have, as they did with Iraq... And I cannot avoid looking out of the corner of my eye at the tapestries that I bought in Damascus and feel a deep sense of sadness on remembering that people who treated me with so much kindness and hospitality, and who are now consumed in a civil war fomented by the West... After the coffee, the ablutions (wudu), and I prepare for the first prayers of the morning: Al Farj. It's my favourite prayer session. I like to start the day dedicating a few minutes to putting my soul at peace with God. Who knows...? If today were to be my last day, I want to go in peace. I pull out of my trunk the small carpet that I brought from Mecca and I orient it in the direction of Kaaba... Bismillah ar-rahmaan ar-raheem...
I need to get on with the new book, but I find it difficult to resume all the information I've obtained in the last two and a half years of research. I am literally buried in books, reports, summaries... This time the goal of my investigation work is very sensitive and complex. Even more so than with the skins, the white slave trade and international terrorism. What's more, the recent decision of the Constitutional Court, prohibiting the use of hidden cameras in investigative journalism in Spain, has created a new risk in my job. The powers that be don?t usually like journalists and what they have proposed is complicating our work. I glimpse at one of the recordings I have made, a few days ago in the premises of one of the organizations where I have sneaked in, and I start to transcribe the audio. The good thing about investigative journalism with a hidden camera is that you don?t need to invent anything.  You only have to transcribe what's been taped. Although to obtain these recordings you have to go through so much fear, anxiety and loneliness.
I've only written 300 pages of the new book and the data is drowning me. I have to find the way to tell all that I am learning without saturating the reader... Also, on this occasion, I keep pulling together information, following people, and going to all sorts of meetings while I am editing the book. Something that I had never done before. The normal thing is to finish the infiltration and then write. But I want to take advantage of getting the latest information possible right up to the last minute. Perhaps that's the reason, or perhaps it's because they have stamped me too hard with my new personality. I confess that this investigation has led me to discover a new vibrant world that I knew nothing about. I realise that the "stamping", the illness of the infiltrator, is the biggest risk that a journalist or under cover agent has to face. When the personality that you play ends up taking you over. But even so, fuck it; I really like my new identity...
This morning I'll substitute the gym with the shooting gallery. One of the elements of my new identity, inside organized crime, is that I am supposed to be a good shot. This time I am uncovering much more shit than I imagined. And neither politicians, nor businessmen nor police are free of corruption... During my time as a skinhead I shaved my head, wore Doc Martens and a bomber jacket covered with Nazi emblems. During my life as Muhammad Abdallah I darkened up my skin, I grew a beard for six years, and I was never separated from my tasbih and my Arab cap for salat. Now my new look is so different that at times I don't even recognize myself...
The heart starts speeding up again each time I put on the hidden camera. It doesn't matter how many times one has done it before. I walk slowly, looking behind, concentrating on faces, registration plates, clothes, in case any of them could be a threat. Always looking out of the corner of the eye at one's back... Psychologically, it wears one out living this way, but it's the price that has to be paid for carrying out this sort of journalism. I suppose that only those threatened by ETA, the IRA or FARC, or any type of organized crime, know of this sensation. Every time I get into a lift, that a door opens, that I turn a corner, I am expecting the worst... But I know that while I maintain concentration, and a prudent level of fear, I won't make any errors. The proof is that despite all the insults, the threats and the hate that I receive each day I am still here.
Tomorrow, like every day, I will get up early again. I have to get ready. This year the holy month of Ramadan falls right in the middle of summer, and it's going to be especially hard... Allahu Akbar.
 



 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario